Please note, we are experiencing some technical difficulties with our phone lines and our team is working hard to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
The height barrier has been removed at Castle Bromwich HRC for a trial period and extra van slots are also available at the site. Please note, terms still apply to types of vehicles permitted access to the HRC.
Bringing waste to a Birmingham Household Recycling Centre (HRC) in a van or large trailer (subject to site safety)
Residents will now be able to book a slot using an online booking system to pre-book visits to the HRCs. This new service will offer residents more flexibility when it comes to booking a slot to dispose of large amounts of waste and recycling from home.
We anticipate a very high demand for the service and slots are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. An email notifying whether or not your application has been successful in securing a slot will be sent to the email provided in the booking form.
Residents booking a visit with a van or large trailer
Please note: there are certain types of waste that will not be accepted including asbestos, tree trunks, large amounts of soil, rubble and plaster will not be accepted. Trade waste and business waste will also not be accepted. Residents are able to book slots at any of our five HRC sites provided they meet the criteria which is explained when booking a slot online.
Please read the rules for visiting our sites below BEFORE booking a slot online.
Rules for visiting our sites
Generally, we are operating with the following rules, specific site rules follow underneath. This is to ensure the safety of both the public and our staff. Please ensure you read and follow this guidance when visiting any of our sites:
- Use the vehicle you have booked with
- Anyone in self-isolation or with COVID-19 symptoms must NOT visit under any circumstances
- You MUST be a Birmingham resident (i.e. you pay your council tax to Birmingham City Council) and produce address documentation on your visit
- Hired vehicles where possible, reg should be sourced prior to booking. Hire documents in addition to address documentation will need to be produced on the visit (if you are unable to source reg number, please enter “Hire Van” in the vehicle registration field on the booking form.
- All HRCs, with the exception of Tyseley and Castle Bromwich, have height restrictions of 6' 10" (2.1 meters). If your vehicle exceeds the height limit, please make your booking for Tyseley or Castle Bromwich HRC.
- Large trailers (subject to site safety) are permitted access on site provided a slot has been pre-booked via the van booking system
- Access will be by the vehicle you have booked with only, strictly no pedestrians allowed
- Not bring more than eight 25kg bags (or equivalent) of inert waste, such as rubble or soil, turf, hardcore per visit
- You must NOT leave your vehicle until it is parked in a bay
- Waste must be separated before visiting the HRC and the types of waste and recycling specified at the time of booking
- Social distancing is the responsibility of all site users
- Children must remain in the car with seatbelts fastened
- Please treat our key workers with respect, as abuse of any kind will not be tolerated
Trade van bookings
You can pre-book your visit by calling the van booking centre on 0203 567 3915
The booking centre is open Monday to Friday between 8am - 4pm. Please note that the booking centre is not open on bank holidays or at weekends.
Businesses wishing to use the site will be charged a £78 fee to deposit waste at the site. Vehicles up to 3500kg are accepted on site. Time slots for firms wanting to take advantage of this service will be:
Monday - Friday (5am-7am, 11am-12pm and 2pm-7pm).
Please read the rules for visiting our sites BEFORE booking a slot at the van booking centre.
If I have a minibus/campervan/people carrier fitted with the seats will I need to book in?
There is no plan to change the current process for minibuses/campervans/people carriers, we allow them to access the HRC sites without following the booking system. This is providing the minibuses/campervans/people carriers are not stripped of the interior fittings and being used as a van.
If I have a high top van that exceeds 2.1 metres, which site can I visit?
The Tyseley or Castle Bromwich HRC site does not have height restrictions as our other sites across Birmingham do, therefore, the Tyseley or Castle Bromwich HRC sites are the best sites to visit if you have concerns about the height of your vehicle.
What identification do I need to bring with me?
Please bring along a utility/tax bill or another form of evidence to prove Birmingham residency.
Why aren’t there any slots available?
There are limited slots available and the system works on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note, new slots are released every day so please try again if you aren’t able to secure a slot.