Most importantly at this time of year it is good to know that a vast majority of Easter egg packaging can be recycled, including: clean foil, cardboard boxes and plastic tubs and trays.
Easter is often seen as a good time to have a spring clean so if you find you have more waste than usual this Easter please see below the free ways to dispose of waste in Haringey:
Haringey's two Reuse and Recycling Centres in Hornsey and Tottenham are open to the public as a free service; however will both be shut on Good Friday.
You can book special collections for bulky items through Veolia, where a number of bulky household items can be collected for free, provided they are reusable or recyclable. There is a charge for non-recyclable items. Many of the bulk items are given to ReStore Community Projects who are a registered charity collecting unwanted furniture, cookers and fridges which are then sold using a two-tier pricing strategy, giving a cheaper price to residents who have evidence of being on benefits or low income.
For information about waste services in Haringey please go to the Veolia Haringey website and for full details of all waste and recycling services please go to the Haringey Council website.
Top 5 Tips for Reducing Waste this Easter:
1. Stop unwanted mail - To stop receiving unsolicited advertising mail, contact the Mailing Preference Service and Royal Mail.
2. Think before you shop - Could you reduce your waste by buying things with less packaging, or second-hand items. Can you buy something that will last longer rather than a disposable item? Rechargeable batteries are cheaper than disposables, and they can be used again and again - and using real crockery and cutlery for your parties instead of disposable ones can make a real difference.
3. Your rubbish is another person’s treasure! Contact ReStore Community Projects to get rid of unwanted furniture and household goods. Or advertise your old furniture in your local paper or on websites such as Freecycle or Freegle. Donate good quality clothing, books and unwanted gifts to charity shops.
4. Avoid wasting food - To find out useful tips on the storage of food, tantalising recipes and advice on portioning and meal planning, visit the Love Food Hate Waste website.
5. Re-paint - Donate left-over paint to be used by others, paint can be donated at Park View Road Reuse and Recycling Centre in Haringey.
For more information please contact:
Veolia Environmental Services (UK) Plc.
Ashley Road Depot
London N17 9AZ
Tel: +44(0)7920 295 715
E: [email protected]