Van permit push at local Recycling Centres

“Got a van? Get a Permit!” is the message coming from local recycling officers this springtime.

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority (MRWA) is reminding people that if they want to access the region’s Household Waste Recycling Centres in a van or with a large trailer then they will need a Permit.

Introduced in October 2009 the Permit Scheme was put in place to prevent traders and commercial operators from accessing the region’s Recycling Centres, which are designated for use by householders only.

Residents from over 52,000 households across Merseyside have taken advantage of the scheme since 2009.

Through March and April MRWA will be running a series of adverts in local newspapers, contacting van-hire companies with information, and handing out leaflets at all 13 of Merseyside’s Recycling Centres to remind people of the scheme.

Councillor Graham Morgan, Chairperson of MRWA, said: “Permit schemes are common around the country. We brought it in here as we had anecdotal evidence that commercial operators were using the Recycling Centres to illegally deposit trade waste. There is no perfect solution to stopping traders trying to get onto our sites, but we have found that this is the best weapon against the abusers.”

Those applying for permits will need to supply their name, address and vehicle details to help weed out commercial and trade operators. Residents using such vehicles at any Merseyside Recycling Centre should ring Tel: 0151 236 0305 or log onto before their next visit.

Carl Beer, Chief Executive of MRWA, said: “Just to be clear – householders visiting in ordinary saloon or estate cars and people carriers do not need a permit unless they have blanked out windows or permanently removed rear seats. However, pick-up trucks are classed as vans and do need permits.”


Notes to editor:

• Two types of permits are available – every householder can apply for an Annual Permit. This covers frequently arising waste like garden waste, newspapers, cans etc. If you want to dispose of bulky household items (furniture, rubble etc) then you will need a Temporary Permit. Both permits are free.

• Please read the following descriptions for vehicles that require a permit:

• A van
• An estate, hatchback, 4×4 or car with rear seats removed and or permanently blanked out side/rear windows
• Any ‘flatback’ or pick-up vehicle
• A trailer between 2 and 3 metres long
Also, vehicles above 3.5t gross vehicle weight, and vehicles with trailers which are longer than 3 metres are not allowed to access a HWRC.
• It is easy to apply for a Permit over the phone or on the website. Each permit will contain the applicant’s name, address and the registration number of the vehicle they plan to use.

• Residents should ring 0151 236 0305 or log on to for more details and to get a Permit.

• Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority is responsible for the disposal of municipal waste on Merseyside. Established in 1986 following the abolition of Merseyside County Council, it is a statutory Authority that works with all the local authorities on Merseyside – Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, St Helens and Wirral. MRWA takes a lead in advocating recycling, waste minimisation and safe and effective disposal of waste for Merseyside’s residents.

Merseyside Household Waste Recycling Centres:

Bidston – Wallasey Bridge Road, Birkenhead CH41 1EB
Clatterbridge – Mount Road, Clatterbridge CH63 6JE
Formby – Altcar Road, Formby L37 8EG
Huyton – Wilson Road, Huyton L36 6AD
Kirkby – Depot Road, Knowsley Industrial Park L33 3AR
Newton-le-Willow – Junction Lane WA12 8DN
Otterspool – Jericho Lane, Aigburth L17 5AR
Rainhill – Tasker Terrace, Rainhill L35 4NX
Ravenhead – Burtonhead Road, St. Helens WA9 5EA
Sefton Meadows – Sefton Lane, Maghull L31 8BX
Southport – Foul Lane, PR9 7RG
South Sefton – Irlam Road, Bootle L20 4AE
West Kirby – Greenbank Road CH48 5HR