Kevin Parker, Regional Communications Manager for Veolia says: “Having a green Halloween shouldn’t spook you, or give you the chills. One simple place to start is by reducing your family’s waste. By recycling and upcycling previous year’s and reusing what you already have, you will reduce the amount bought and produce less waste to dispose of or recycle later.”
• When it comes to being green with costumes, give costume customization a go. Homemade costumes are often made from materials that you already have in your own home, wardrobes or scraps bag so cost only time and inspiration.
• Another option would be to borrow or swap costumes with a friend, or purchase a used costume at a charity shop instead of buying a new one.
There are lots of fun ways that you can creatively reuse or recycle items for Halloween decorations, and they are fun for all ages to try.
• Milk bottles before going in the recycling bin can be decorated with pens and become the ghostly lanterns – we strongly recommend torches or battery operated tealights to light these.
• Another great decoration is a scarecrow. You don’t have to buy anything – use fallen leaves from your garden, recycle old jeans or trousers and shirts or tops, and fill an old pillowcase or Halloween mask for the head.
• Nature’s favourite ‘green’ Halloween decoration is the pumpkin! They can be grown at home and look fantastic as a natural decoration as they grow, they can be carved, used for pumpkin seeds, and then easily composted. Battery operated reusable tea lights are again recommended for the inside of carved pumpkins – never leave a lit candle unattended.
• Instead of buying a fancy bag for your little goblin’s trick -or-treating, opt for a reusable bag, a decorated ice cream tub, or whatever was used the year before.
• When giving sweets out from your own haunted house, try to offer items with little packaging or better yet, give useful treats like pencils or pens.
Don’t be a scaredy-cat! This Halloween, think about how your family can change just one habit to be more environmentally friendly and less wasteful.
How is your family having a greener Halloween? What will you reuse or recycle this year? Tweet us to let us know: @Veoliauk
Veolia Environmental Services (UK) Plc.
Trentside Offices, Freeth Street, Nottingham, NG2 3GT
Tel: +44(0)203 567 4370
Fax: +44(0)203 567 4371
E: [email protected]