Paper and card are the main ingredients of household rubbish, making up approximately one third of the waste produced by UK homes. Paper and card put into household recycling wheeled bins in Nottinghamshire is sorted at Veolia’s Materials Recovery Facility in Mansfield and then taken to paper recycling mills where it is pulped, pressed and rolled, ready to make new products.
Councillor Jim Creamer, Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council's Environment and Sustainability Committee, said: "By using Nottinghamshire's recycling bins, you can become a recycling hero and help reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill, ensuring valuable resources are reused.”
Julie Adams, Contract Performance Manager for Veolia added: "However, it's not only your cards* that can be recycled this Valentine's Day, but your chocolate boxes, soft drinks plastic bottles and the cardboard sleeve from food containers too. So, recycle and love Nottinghamshire this Valentine's Day."
You can be good to your loved ones and the environment too. If you have a little time to add the personal touch, here are a few home-made gift ideas to try:
- Valentine cards - Save paper and trees by sending an e-card. If the card is a must, make sure it’s printed on recycled paper or make one from scratch.
- Floral gestures - Consider planting a tree for your loved one, or giving a potted plant instead of flowers. If sending flowers, try to choose ones that have been grown in the UK.
- Home-cooked meals – Show your loved ones you care by cooking with fresh, local, organic ingredients, and plan a tasty 15th Feb lunch with the leftovers.
- Photo gifts – Using recycled materials and your favourite photos, make a scrapbook, decorate a picture frame or create an electronic slideshow.
Materials that can be recycled in your kerbside recycling bin include paper and card such as newspapers and magazines, junk mail, toilet roll tubes, ready meal cardboard sleeves, cardboard boxes and letters. Plastic bottles, yoghurt pots and margarine tubs as well as and tins and cans.
A full guide to the items that can go into your kerbside recycling bin can be downloaded at:www.areyoubinsmart.co.uk or can be posted, please call 0203 567 4392 to request your copy.
* Please do not put foil wrapping paper or Valentines cards with excessive glitter in your recycling bin.
Love to recycle – find out more about recycling in Nottinghamshire by visiting www.veolia.co.uk/nottinghamshire