How visits to the Veolia Nottinghamshire Materials Recovery Facility link to the national curriculum
School visits to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) can cover a wide range of topics allowing clear links to the curriculum and giving students a practical view of science and technology in action.
Below are some of the links to the primary and secondary curriculum that may be referenced during visits to the MRF.
- Origins of materials with links to materials as resources
- Properties and uses of metal, plastic and paper/card
- Reducing, Reusing and Recycling materials
- How resource use affects habitats
- Impact of humans on the environment (positive and negative)
- Negative effects of population and development such as litter and deforestation
- Natural resources and sustainability
- Properties of materials
- Use of machinery and automation in recycling
- Interaction and impact of humans on the environment
- Resource management and sustainability
- Earth as a source of limited resources and the efficacy of recycling
- Product life cycle assessment and recycling to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life
- The viability of recycling of certain materials
*Please note school visits are open to students age 7 and above.