Sheffield Christmas Collections 2019
Before you put your black, blue and brown bins out over Christmas and New Year, check what day we’ll be coming to empty them – it might be different over the festive period:
Old Collection Date
New Collection Date
Wednesday 25th December
|Saturday 21st December|
|Thursday 26th December||Friday 27th December|
|Friday 27th December||Saturday 28th December|
|Wednesday 1st January||Thursday 2nd January|
|Thursday 2nd January||Friday 3rd January|
|Friday 3rd January||Saturday 4th January|
*All collections will return to your normal days after and including Monday January 6th 2020
Bins should be put out for collection on the pavement by 7am on collection day and taken back on to properties no later than 9am the following day.
Extra Waste and Recycling
Over the festive period it is likely that you will produce lots of extra waste, including wrapping paper, Christmas cards, boxes, catalogues, glass and plastic bottles, biscuit/chocolate tins and lots more.
You can place small amounts of extra paper and card, tied in a bundle no bigger than your bin, next to your blue bin for collection.
Between 27th December and 23rd January ONLY we will collect extra tins, cans and plastic bottles. Just put them inside a tied carrier bag next to your brown bin. Any glass bottles or jars must be placed inside your brown bin, otherwise your extra recycling will not be collected.
If you have more recycling than you can fit into your bins we encourage you to make use of the local recycling sites and the five Household Waste Recycling Centres across the City.
Click here to find your local Household Waste Recycling Centre and to check their festive opening times.
We have over 35 Recycling Sites across Sheffield where you can take many items to be recycled, from batteries and books to textiles and plastic pots, tubs and trays. To find your nearest recycling site, and to search for items that you can recycle, please enter your postcode into our Recycling Site Finder
Festive Recycling Tips
Your Blue Bin
- Use your Blue Bin for your paper and card, including Christmas cards, wrapping paper, boxes and catalogues.
- Flatten your cardboard to make more space in your bin. Remove ribbons and bows before recycling.
- Wrapping paper, try the scrunch test: if you scrunch it and it bounces back, it can’t be recycled – put it in your black bin.
- You can place small amounts of paper and card (no bigger than your blue bin) bundled neatly with string next to your blue bin on your collection day.
Your Brown Bin
- Use your brown bin for all of your plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars, tins and cans, including your biscuit/chocolate tins.
- Squash your cans and plastic bottles to make more space in your bin.
- Remember that when it comes to plastic, only plastic bottles, can go in your brown bin.
- Other plastic products, including carrier bags, pots, tubs and trays, can be recycled at your local recycling site or household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Tops and trigger sprays can be recycled but please put pump dispensers (e.g. from hand soaps) in your black bin.
Once you’ve safely stored your tinsel and baubles you can recycle your real Christmas tree at your local HWRC, click here to find your nearest one and check the opening times.
Alternatively, you can arrange for us to collect your tree direct from your property using our bulky waste collection service. Click here for more information about this service.
If there is snow and ice over the festive period, please visit our Service Alert page for more information, or call: 0114 273 4567 for updates on your bin collections as they may need to change.
All staff at Veolia and Sheffield City Council would like to thank residents for their support during the festive period.