Take a fascinating tour and learn how recyclables get sorted at our Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). Watch our state-of-the-art machinery and our hard-working staff sort different materials into separate recycling stream ready to baled up and turned into something new.
Tours will take place every 20 minutes throughout the day and last approximately 30 minutes, tours will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. There will be no prebooked tour slots available in advance or on the day.
General waste video tour
Discover what happens to general waste at the Mechanical Biological Treatment (MBT) Facility, Veolia’s first in the UK. See how we prevent almost all general waste from being landfilled. Watch the processes that take place using state-of-the-art machinery along with a tailored biological process that enables us to produce a fuel that can be used to create energy.
General waste tours take place throughout the day on a first-come-first-served basis and last approximately 10 minutes. This tour is delivered inside the control room of the facility where a video of mechanical and biological processes will be shown.
- Children must be over 137cm to be part of a tour. There are a limited number of children’s tour available, see below for details.
- All children up to the age of 16, must be accompanied by an adult, with no more than two children per adult.
- No high heels or open-toe shoes can be worn inside the facility.
- Unfortunately, the tour is not accessible to wheelchair users and all participants must be able to walk unaided. All other visitor areas are fully accessible on-site.
- For those with hearing aids, please be aware, certain aids are not compatible with our headsets (recycling tour only).
- People with pacemakers, unfortunately, cannot go on the recycling tour, however, they can go on the general waste tour.
Kids Recycling Tour
For those who are too small for a standard recycling tour. Please note this is subject to availability.
The tour will take place in the early afternoon, but spaces fill very quickly so please arrive in good time. All children must be accompanied by an adult and must be able to walk unaided.
To find out more about our annual Wonder Day, click here.