Veolia is renowned for its integrated waste management and environmental services to local communities and industry.
Veolia in Sheffield
In August 2001, Veolia was awarded the waste management contract from Sheffield City Council. As part of this 35 year contract, Veolia is now responsible for:
- Maintaining an efficient collection service
- Increasing recycling
- Investigating, operating and developing kerbside recycling collections
- Developing recycling facilities (Recycling Sites, Household Waste Recycling Centres and working with community groups)
- Operating a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) at Beighton to sort waste paper and card before it goes on to be recycled
- Encouraging waste reduction through education and waste minimisation campaigns
- Delivery of a Waste Awareness and Education Programme across the city
- Operating the Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) at Bernard Road to create electricity and heat generation under strict environmental regulations and legislation
- Developing the award-winning District Energy Network to enable more buildings to connect to the system
- Ensuring safe disposal of waste
Veolia in the United Kingdom
The UK leader in environmental solutions, Veolia provides a comprehensive range of waste, water and energy management services designed to build the circular economy and preserve scarce raw materials.
We're innovators committed to focusing on carbon reduction by preventing pollution, preserving natural resources, protecting biodiversity, combating climate change and raising environmental awareness.
Our new strategy is focused on manufacturing green products and energy, helping our customers and suppliers reduce their carbon impact by investing more than £1 billion on new infrastructure between 2012 - 2018.
From transforming sludge into plastic, recovering palladium from street sweepings and future-gazing with our 'Imagine 2050' report we are turning the once 'traditional' waste, water and energy management industry on its head.
Around the globe, Veolia helps cities and industries to manage, optimise and make the most of their resources. The company provides an array of solutions related to water, energy and materials – with a focus on waste recovery – to promote the transition toward a circular economy.
Veolia's 187,000 employees are tasked with contributing directly to the sustainability performance of customers in the public and private sectors, allowing them to pursue development while protecting the environment.
To this end, the company designs and deploys specialist solutions to provide, protect and replenish resources while increasing their efficiency from an environmental, economic and social standpoint. Such initiatives are all part of Veolia's ongoing campaign to resource the world.